Whilst tax is usually no laughing matter, we can’t help but have a giggle about some of the weird and wonderful taxes that have been implemented across the world throughout history.
- In America, a stripper was allowed to write her breast implants off as an expense as she said they are considered a stage prop. Since she has now established her breasts as a business expense, she can now depreciate her assets every year.
- In Denmark, in a bid to improve their carbon footprint, all cow owners need to pay a cow flatulence tax. The tax is designed to curb the methane emissions from cows that contribute to nearly 20% of greenhouse emissions.
- Have you ever heard of a ‘fat tax’? The Kerala government has imposed a 14.5% tax on all branded fast foods such as pizza, burgers and chips only recently.
- Have you ever heard the expression ‘daylight robbery’? The saying came from a tax that was imposed in England in 1696, whereby the King imposed a window Houses were taxed based on the number of windows they had.
- To flush out some extra money to pay for treatment plants, a flushing tax was applied to the residents of Maryland in America. Each household was taxed $5 per month for the privilege of flushing their toilets.
Are you claiming all your deductions? Talk to Odyssey Business Knowledge today to see if you are paying too much tax.